Ceremonies to commemorate Battle of Beaumont-Hamel
June 29, 2012
Ministers to Participate in Ceremonies to Commemorate the Battle of Beaumont-Hamel
Eight Cabinet ministers will participate in ceremonies on Sunday, July 1 to commemorate the 96th Anniversary of the Battle of the Somme at Beaumont-Hamel paying tribute to the courageous members of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment who fought and died on July 1, 1916.
- The Honourable Susan Sullivan, Minister of Health and Community Services, will lay a wreath and speak at a ceremony at the Newfoundland Memorial at Beaumont-Hamel, France. Minister Sullivan will also attend ceremonies at Monchy-le-Preux, Gueudecourt and Masnières in France and Menin Gate in Belgium.
- The Honourable Nick McGrath, Minister for Intergovernmental and Aboriginal Affairs and Minister Responsible for the Volunteer and Non-Profit Sector, will participate in a wreath laying ceremony at 8:30 a.m. at the National War Memorial Cenotaph in Ottawa, Ontario.
- The Honourable Tom Hedderson, Minister of Transportation and Works, will participate in a wreath laying ceremony at the War Memorial on Water Street, St. John’s. The event will take place at 10:30 a.m.
- The Honourable Keith Hutchings, Minister of Innovation, Business and Rural Development, will participate in a Beaumont-Hamel ceremony taking place at the Cenotaph in Ferryland at 11:00 a.m.
- The Honourable Clyde Jackman, Minister of Education, will lay a wreath at a ceremony at 11:00 a.m. at the War Memorial in Burin.
- The Honourable Terry French, Minister of Environment and Conservation, will lay a wreath during a ceremony at 11:00 a.m. at the Monument of Honour located in Long Pond, Conception Bay South.
- The Honourable Joan Burke, Minister of Advanced Education and Skills, will participate in a wreath laying ceremony at the Royal Canadian Legion Cenotaph in Stephenville at 11:00 a.m.
- The Honourable Felix Collins, Minister of Justice, will attend a wreath laying ceremony at 10:45 a.m. at the Dr. William Collingwood Memorial in Placentia.